Aroma diffusers are handy devices for diffusing aromatic oils to help you relax and create a nice, stress-free environment. These devices are very easy to use but if you do that often, they might need some cleaning.
Making sure your diffuser is clean is essential. If you never did that before, you might think it’s challenging. In fact, the process is rather simple and doesn’t take a long time. You’ll get used to it quickly and have no problem cleaning the device whenever necessary.
The cleaning technique may depend on the type of diffuser you are using. So the first thing you might want to do is check out the manufacturer’s instructions. This will allow you to get the most out of it and keep it from breaking down.
Why do you have to clean your aroma diffuser?
Aroma diffusers are very uncomplicated and easy to use. Simply plug it in and essential oils and water are transformed into microparticles that help to humidify the air and create a pleasant fragrance. Cleaning the device is important because otherwise, it will quickly break down and become useless.
Besides, using a dirty device is simply not good for your health. Remember that the diffused aromatic solutions end up in your lungs. Dust and built-up dirt can become a serious hazard for you and your family.
How to clean an aroma diffuser
If you want your diffuser to serve you well and for a long time, clean it every week. Simple weekly cleaning will take you no more than five minutes. Besides, this way you’ll make sure you have even less to clean in the future. Here are 7 simple steps to follow to do a quick cleaning:
- Disconnect the device from the mains or make sure it’s already unplugged.
- Drain all the liquid (water and/or oil) that’s in the tank (if any).
- Take a damp cloth with a drop of detergent (dishwashing liquid, for example).
- Wipe the tank with a soapy cloth making sure there are no traces of dirt or essential oil.
- Rinse the tank with water to get rid of all the soap.
- Wipe the tank dry with a dry soft cloth.
- Put the device back together, fill it with water and essential oil. That’s it! Your best essential oil diffuser is ready to use again.
To make sure your device will remain functional for a long time, the quick cleaning described above might not be enough. Once a month, it will need a more thorough cleaning. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure the device is unplugged.
- Make sure there’s no liquid in the tank.
- Fill the tank halfway with water (make sure that the water doesn’t go above the maximum fill level mark).
- Add a teaspoon and a half of white vinegar to the water. This will help dissolve any mineral deposits or mold, if any have formed during use.
- Plug the device in and allow it to run as usual for approximately fifteen minutes. This time is quite enough for the vinegar to do its job.
- Turn off the diffuser and pour out the liquid.
- Dip a cotton pad in vinegar or alcohol and wipe all nooks and crannies as thoroughly as you can.
- Wash the diffuser with clean water, then drain and wipe dry with a soft dry cloth.
- Put the device back together, fill it with water and essential oils and enjoy.
Things to keep in mind when cleaning an aroma diffuser
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions. Most diffusers can be cleaned safely using the above methods. However, different diffusers are designed differently. Your particular diffuser may come with specific cleaning instructions.
- Empty out the water and oil after each use. The longer water and oil remain in the diffuser, the harder it will be to clean. Pour out the remaining water or oil each time you clean the diffuser. This way you won’t have to spend a lot of time cleaning it.
- Turn off and empty the diffuser before cleaning. Do not start cleaning the diffuser until you have unplugged it. Unplug the diffuser before each cleaning. If there is water or oil in the diffuser, drain it before cleaning.
- When cleaning, never submerge the device in water. If you use soap or alcohol to wash it, make sure to clean off any excess before turning it on again.
- Don’t pour boiling hot liquid into the tank as this can cause cracks that will leak essential oil.
- For best results, don’t use any chemical detergents or cleaning solutions other than dishwashing liquid or vinegar.
- Make sure that whenever you switch off the device, you unplug it instead of just switching off the power button. Otherwise, it can become a fire hazard.
- After cleaning, take a soft brush to clean the edges or the entire surface of the diffusor to make sure there’s no oil residue anywhere.
A diffuser can be very useful, especially during the heating season. This is when the air gets extremely dry and this negatively affects the condition of your skin and hair. But thanks to an aroma diffuser, your home’s microclimate will always be well-balanced. Besides, having a pleasant fragrance in the air doesn’t hurt. It doesn’t mean that you only should use it in winter, though. You can enjoy it all year around.
When choosing an aroma essential oil diffuser, pay attention to the quality and manufacturer. Don’t forget about regular cleaning if you want your diffuser to serve you for years to come and maintain a healthy environment at home. Washing the device every time you change fragrances would also be a good idea. The residue of the oils you used previously combined with the fresh ones might lead to a quite unpleasant odor.
Remember to clean your diffuser regularly and you will enjoy all the benefits of a cleaner, more pleasant-smelling home. Besides, with how easy and quick it is, there’s no excuse not to do that on a regular basis.